Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Irony is...

I'm speaking this weekend and it makes it so much harder for me to blog about speaking. That seems ironic to me, but maybe I'm misinterpreting the word. I think that the problem is not just the time schedule, but the focus re-shifting that throws me off.

Which leads me to this thought: I don't know how pastors who speak every week do it. It's so much prep and prayer time, so much development and research, just so...much. Perhaps when you are responsible for a message that often, you have to let go of some of the perfectionist tendencies and trust God more with the content. Perhaps. Or maybe pastors just have to get really good at raising up teams of people who can carry the load and feed the sheep well. I'm thankful that our pastor leads that way and I've tried to be that same kind of leader. More important to me than being a good speaker is being a good speaker-raiser-upper (is too a word). I want to give lots of people the chance to discover the gifts that God has placed inside of them. And I'd like to help them in ways that I would have liked to have been helped back in the day.

This weekend I'm speaking on a new topic for me and it's one I'm a little nervous about because it doesn't immediately sound very happy, but I think it's really important: endurance. In terms of raising a family it's a character trait that will be required by 100% of all married people and all parents. No relationships in life will last without endurance. And as I've studied, I'm amazed at how much the Bible has to say about how essential it is to our lives.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, also: if you're someone who speaks every week, tell us how you do it!

Happy Wednesday,

Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment