Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Developing a Thesis (it really does matter!)

If you can't write your message in a sentence, you can't say it in an hour.
--Dianna Booher



It took me years to discover the powerful tool that is...dun dun DUN: The Thesis. A thesis by my definition (which may be entirely wrong, but it's what we're going with because I'm the one eating cookies and writing this blog) is a one or two sentence description of what your message will say. When all the stories and scriptures and word pictures are boiled down into one spoonful of soup, what will the audience take home? My senior pastor, Ken Johnson, has helped me understand this so much and he generally insists that we present some sort of thesis well in advance of our messages. I've been in sermon-planning meetings where he will ask for a description of where someone is headed with their message and if they go too long he'll kindly say, "You're going to have to narrow your thesis." And he's right.

Think of a thesis as a sharpening tool. It helps the speaker focus everything she's developing on the main purpose of her message. It's so easy to let stray illustrations or examples find their way into a talk because we really like them and want to use them - but if they don't add anything to the power and focus of the thesis, then they actually can dilute the whole thing. People who don't get opportunities to speak often really need this kind of focus and discipline because it's tempting to try to say everything you might not get a chance to say again soon. On the flipside, those who speak every week also need a thesis because it's easy to fall into the trap of letting messages string together in one long train of thought rather than planning each one as a mini military-strike. I've been in both camps and I can tell you that I wouldn't want to share even a five-minute testimony at this point in my life without first developing a thesis.

So, I hope I've convinced you of the "why". Next: the "how".

Focusing on focus,

Bo

2 comments:

  1. As someone suffering from CRD(Chronic Rambling Disorder) I count my thesis as no only my greatest tool, but a very effective friend saver as well.:) Honestly though, whether it was is English, Speech, or the school News Paper, a thesis has always pulled my work together and made it cohesive. It also makes me feel like I'm in control of my words and ideas.
    Great post!

    Love,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me think of a message like Orange Juice, with stories and illustrations being any kind of drink. You only want to choose to add more orange juice, not pepsi or coffee, even though those are great drinks on their own. Adding anything to your message that's not quite on purpose will weaken the point you're trying to drive home. Very insightful post...I'm not putting anything in my O.J. unless its gonna make a screwdriver! Hehe...couldn't resist.

    Whit

    ReplyDelete