Saturday, June 26, 2010

5 Ways to avoid picturing people in their underwear

I would love to know what knucklehead first came up with the idea for scared speakers, "Just picture everyone in their underwear." In what universe is being surrounded by nearly-naked people more relaxing? It's truly terrible advice.

The thing is, though, that no matter how many times I speak, I generally deal with nerves at some point in the process. Here are some things I've discovered that have worked:

1. THIS IS WAR

God picked David to take out Goliath and He has - for whatever reason - asked you to tackle this speaking assignment. Close your eyes for a minute and imagine all the things that might have been going through His heart when He chose you to communicate His truth to this particular group. How might you grow from it? How might they? How can He be glorified, even in the middle of your anxiety?

2. COURAGE IS POWERFUL
I've found that instead of asking Him to take away all the fear, it's sometimes more effective to simply ask for the gift of courage. Jesus didn't promise His disciples that He would remove all the scary snakes and scorpions (Luke 10:19), but rather that they would have authority to stomp on them. Need some stomping strength from the Word? Here you go: Deut. 31:6, 2 Chronicles 20:15 & 17, Psalm 31, Romans 8:15, 2 Timothy 1:7, 1 John 4:18.

3. BREATHE
It's amazing how often I forget this one very important skill. Deep breath in, deep breath out.

4. THE BUDDY SYSTEM
Speaking outside of my church (where people already know and love me) is more intimidating and so I've learned to take someone who does know and love me along for the ride. When I run out of bravery, it's good to have someone there to pray and cheer-lead and say, "You can do this!" If all else fails, they can remind you to picture people in their underwear. (Check out what strong friends did for Paul's courage in Acts 28:15)

5. HOW DO YOU GET TO CARNEGIE HALL? PRACTICE!
Nothing gives me more violent jitters than the feeling of being unprepared. For me, being fully prepared involves about 20 hours of work (I'll post on my prep process soon), but for you it may look different. Whatever makes you feel ready to roll, do it. If you need notes, use them. If notes get in your way then practice your talk enough to be able to leave the notes behind. One thing that is absolutely non-negotiable for me is a little bit of practice. Musicians practice. Athletes practice. Speakers really, really need to practice. More on this down the road.

So that's five quick ways that I tackle the tumultuous speaking stomach. How do you deal with fear?

2 comments:

  1. generally speaking, my fear is the result of me focusing way too much on me. about 20 years ago, i was wrestling with something God wanted me to do because i was so anxious about how i would feel, what they would think of me, would it be awkward, would they think i'm a weirdo, etc... I had just about talked myself out of doing it, rationalizing all my insecurities, when the Lord - ever so gently - said to me: If you would stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about the other person, you'll be just fine.

    And He was right. Focus on the task He's asked you to tackle and stop thinking about yourself. We all have our insecurities in one way or another, and if we let them, they could cripple us and keep us from the amazing things He has for us. Life is too short to live afraid! So just go out and do it! You'll be fine! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pam - so much wisdom in what you wrote. "Life is too short to live afraid!" - I think I learned that in a teeny tiny airplane, flying over Alcatraz on your birthday trip! :)

    ReplyDelete