Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Women and Fire

Hey, did you get a chance to read the blog post I linked yesterday? It asked the question "Where are all the female communicators in the church?" Most of the comments both there and here are variations on the same theme: they're still in the church, but their voice has been silenced by I Timothy 2. I would agree that doctrine is a big part of it, but I think it's more than that.

I am a credentialed minister in the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel which was founded by the decidedly non-silent Aimee Semple McPherson. Aimee was a controversial and dynamic woman. Whether you love or loathe her, you have to admit that she was one of the most effective and creative communicators of her day. When is the last time people were lined up around the block, waiting to get into your church because they were so excited to hear the message? That's the kind of speaker Aimee was. She was also an absolute force to be reckoned with, but that's a post for another time.

My point in all this is: many denominations are very solidly in the anti-women-speaking camp doctrinally. My denomination is not at all in that camp. Foursquare believes corporately that women can be speakers, teachers, missionaries and senior pastors. So, you would think that Foursquare would be crawling with female communicators, yes? Well...not really.

I read a statistic recently that said when Aimee Semple McPherson was the head of the denomination (in the late 1930's and early 40's), 59% of those being licensed and ordained were women. Fast forward 50 years and less than 5% of Foursquare licensees are women.

What gives? Part of it, I think, is that in order for people to attempt something that hasn't been accepted in the past, they don't just need permission - they need encouragement and role models. Aimee didn't just believe that God could use a woman to speak, she went first. And after that, she grabbed a bunch of other women by the hand and said, "You can do it too!"

Please know that this blog is not to prove that it's okay doctrinally for women to speak to men or anyone else. I had to wrestle that out in my life and I'm really clear on my position, and you'll have to wrestle it out in yours. But if you do arrive in a place where you can confidently say, "I believe that our gracious God wants to use me as a communicator in His beautiful House," you will run into plenty of people who disagree and plenty who don't really care. You may not, however, find very many who are willing to become a friend to your dream. More than almost anything else, that is what I would like to be: a strength to women with the fire of the Word of God locked up inside. I'd also love to be a cheerleader for the men of God who are willing to give those ladies the chance to stand behind a pulpit let that fire roll. In that regard, I think the world needs a lot more people like Aimee.


Hoping to start some fires,

Bo


2 comments:

  1. BO! I LOVE your Aimee comments! She is truly one of my hero's and I think one of the first I am anxious to meet when I get to heaven!

    Looking forward to your blog. Love what I've read already. I tried to comment yesterday but I'm SURE my computer must have messed up the process! ;-)

    You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo, I am with you on this! I would love to be the cheerleader for those girls who think that God may be calling them WAY out of their comfort zone to move to, oh, I don't know, Africa and preach it up. I am grateful for your wisdom and encouragement to me. Let's join forces for the Kingdom and love ladies into their callings. Wanna? I am definitely down.

    ReplyDelete